Cougar Cubs: “Teens Teaching Tots and Tots Teaching Teens” Service-Learning in Child Development
Child Development is a service-learning elective in the Family & Consumer Sciences Department that introduces high school level students to the child education and care profession through a careful, psychology-grounded study of child development. It is designed to increase understanding of the basic concepts of child development and the developmental characteristics of children. This course is the foundation for planning appropriate activities for and establishing appropriate expectations of children, while offering an opportunity to study the various developmental domains (social, emotional, cognitive/language and physical). As part of the course, under the direction of a qualified teacher, there are regular opportunities for high school students to observe and interact with three and four year old children in our community in an early childhood setting of free play and child-to-child & child-to-teen interaction.
Class Objectives for High School Students
- To provide students with an opportunity for applying theory learned in the classroom.
- To train students to use instructional strategies found effective in early childhood education.
Goal for Cougar Cubs:
- To provide a developmentally appropriate, hands-on learning environment that is not a pre-school but an opportunity to promote social, emotional, cognitive, and physical growth in preparation for formal schooling.
Classes to be held on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday mornings between 9:15-11:15 AM to Cranford residents who are 3 1/2 year olds (potty trained) and 4 years old.
$25.00 Registration fee (payable to Cranford High School) submitted with registration and medical enrollment forms
$175** per semester — Fall (October-January) or Spring (February-May) participation
$325** for full year (October-May) participation
**full payment due on or before Open House on Thursday, September 29, 2016**
You may register your child by mailing $25.00 registration cost and all items on the checklist below to:
Ms. Annamaria Bellino,
Cranford High School, 201 West End Place
Cranford, NJ 07016
Cougar Cubs Registration Checklist:
- Cougar Cubs Registration form(s)
- Copy of certificate of birth
- Copy of Drivers License with Cranford Address or Proof of Cranford Address
- Completed Medical Enrollment Forms **Please note: The completed Medical Form must be returned to CHS by September 1, 2016.